Mail Order Bride Scam – Ways to avoid Scam on Online Dating Sites
The search for love and companionship is a universal human desire, but the rise of mail order bride sites has made it easier for scammers to prey on unsuspecting men. Study says that over 50% of men who use mail order bride sites fall victim to scams. These scams can range from requests for money to support a non-existent family member to outright theft of a man’s identity. In this article, we’ll explore the dangers of mail order bride sites and provide tips on how to avoid falling victim to a scam.
The dangers of Mail Order Bride sites: scams, fraud, and exploitation
Mail order bride sites can be a breeding ground for scammers and fraudulent activities. Here are some of the potential dangers associated with using these types of sites:
- Financial fraud: Scammers may use the site to solicit money from unsuspecting men. They may ask for money to support a non-existent family member or to cover unexpected expenses. They may also use the site to make fraudulent charges to a man’s credit card.
- Identity theft: Scammers may use the site to steal a man’s personal information, such as his name, address, and Social Security number. They can then use this information to open credit accounts or to commit other types of fraud.
- Emotional manipulation: Scammers may use the site to build emotional connections with men and then use this connection to solicit money or personal information.
- Human trafficking: In some cases, mail order bride sites may be used by human traffickers to recruit victims. Women may be lured to a foreign country with the promise of a better life and then forced into prostitution or other forms of exploitation.
- Marriage fraud: Scammers may use the site to deceive men into marrying them, with the intent of gaining access to their money or residency status.
- Physical harm: in some cases, scammers may use the site to lure men to meet them in person, where they may rob them
Real-life story of marriage fraud: the case of Dr. Jonathan Farley
Dr. Jonathan Farley, a Maryland professor, fell victim to a mail order bride scam in 2013 when he met a 20 years old woman on an online dating site Elenasmodels.com. The quickly developed a relationship with her. Over the course of several months, Dr. Farley and his mail order bride got married, his wife disappeared and took all things in the equivalent of $50,000.
Dr. Farley’s story is a cautionary tale that highlights the dangers of mail order bride scams. It illustrates how scammers can use online dating sites to build emotional connections with unsuspecting victims and then use this connection to solicit money or personal information. It’s also a reminder that it’s important to be vigilant when using online dating sites and to be cautious of anyone who asks for money or personal information.
How to avoid scam on Mail Order Bride Sites
It’s important to remember that scammers are always coming up with new ways to deceive people, so it’s important to stay informed and to be vigilant when using online dating sites.
- Be wary of unrealistic promises or exaggerated claims on the site. Legitimate dating sites will not guarantee that you will find a partner or that the site is 100% safe.
- Be cautious of sites that only allow communication through their own internal messaging system. This can make it difficult to verify the identity of the person you are communicating with.
- Be wary of sites that ask for your financial information or credit card details. Scammers may use this information to make fraudulent charges or steal your identity.
- Be suspicious of profiles that use model-like photographs or that seem too good to be true. Scammers may use fake profiles to attract potential victims.
- Be cautious of sites that are based in foreign countries, as it may be more difficult to report suspicious activity or seek legal recourse if necessary.
- Be careful of sites that have a large number of negative reviews or that have been flagged for suspicious activity.
- Trust your instincts. If something seems too good to be true or if you are uncomfortable with the site or the person you are communicating with, it’s best to trust your gut and move on.
How to find reliable and safe Mail Order Bride Services
Based on the information above, it is clear that mail order bride sites can be a source of potential danger and it’s important to take necessary precautions and to find reliable dating services. Here are a few main steps that can be taken to find a trustworthy dating service:
- Look for sites that have a good reputation: There are many websites that review mail order bride sites and provide information on their reliability and safety. These sites can be a good resource for finding a reputable dating service.
- Be wary of sites that ask for personal information or payment before providing services: Legitimate dating sites will not ask for personal information or payment until you have met someone and have decided to pursue a relationship with them.
- Educate yourself about the red flags of online dating scams: Be familiar with the common warning signs of a scam, such as unrealistic promises, requests for money, and suspicious profiles.
- Trust your instincts: If something seems too good to be true or if you are uncomfortable with the site or the person you are communicating with, it’s best to trust your gut and move on.
It’s also important to keep in mind that it’s always better to choose paid dating services, as they usually have more reliable protection and security features to keep personal data and payments safe.
Mail order bride sites can be a source of potential danger and it’s important to be aware of the potential risks and to take necessary precautions that the story of Dr. Jonathan Farley illustrates obviously.
It’s important to research the site and the company behind it before signing up, to look for sites with a good reputation that you can find on our site 99brides.com